Thursday, June 12, 2008

Quotations About Librarians

From The Laughing Librarian. See also the sidebar to the right for humor about
Libraries & Librarism
Books & Reading
Knowledge & Information
Internet & Computers
Hodgepodge

Some other librarian-centric quotes, from the BUSLIB listserv:
"I'll have to admit that he's a very competent scholar." [said Belgarath.] "Isn't he just a librarian?" Garion asked, "somebody who looks after books?"
"That's where all the rest of scholarship starts, Garion. All the books in the world won't help you if they're just piled up in a heap."
-Fantasy writer David Eddings in "King of the Murgos"

"Librarians are the secret masters of the universe. They control information. Never piss one off." --Spider Robinson

"My family never talks about library standards. And every time I try to steer the conversation that way, they make me feel like a nerd." - Lisa Simpson, The Simpsons

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties and teach us how to swim." -- Linton Weeks (Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)

"If I could've made close to the same amount of money I made in modeling in a library, man, you would not be able to pry me away from there." - Paulina Porizkova, May 1, 2008

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." — Monty Python skit

"I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - Groucho Marx

"Librarian is a service occupation. Gas station attendant of the mind." - Richard Powers, In The Gold Bug Variations p.35, 1991.

"Harold:
Madam Librarian
What can I do, my dear, to catch your ear I love you madly, madly Madam Librarian...Marian Heaven help us if the library caught on fire And the Volunteer Hose Brigademen Had to whisper the news to Marian...Madam Librarian!
What can I say, my dear, to make it clear I need you badly, badly, Madam Librarian...Marian If I stumbled and I busted my what-you-may-call-it I could lie on your floor 'Till my body had turned to carrion....Madam Librarian.
Now in the moonlight, a man could sing it In the moonlight And a fellow would know that his darling Had heard ev'ry word of his song With the moonlight helping along.
But when I try in here to tell you, dear I love you madly, madly, Madam Librarian...Marian It's a long lost cause I can never win For the civilized world accepts as unforgivable sin Any talking out loud with any librarian Such as Marian.....Madam Librarian."

Harold Hill from "The Music Man" as cited here.

No comments: